When Can You Enroll?
There are specific times when you can sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan or make changes to the coverage you already have.
- When you first become eligible for Medicare (Initial Coverage Election Period)
- Between October 15th – December 7th of each year (The Open Enrollment Period for Medicare Advantage AND Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage)
Starting in 2019, between January 1st – March 31st each year, you can make changes during the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period:
- If you are currently enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan, you can switch to another Medicare Advantage Plan.
- If you enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan during your Initial Coverage Election Period, you can change to another Medicare Advantage Plan or go back to Original Medicare within the first 3 months.
There may also be special circumstances outside of the periods listed above that will allow you to enroll.
Some examples are:
- If you have recently moved out of your plan’s service area
- If you have (or lose) Medicaid
- If you qualify for (or lose) “Extra Help”
- If you live in an institution (like a nursing home)
For more information on joining, dropping, or switching plans, please contact our Member Services Department at 1-800-401-2740. TTY users should call 711. From October 1 to March 31, we are open 7 days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST. From April 1 to September 30, we are open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST.
Last updated 10/03/2019